Saturday 11 November 2017

Week 8

So, just for the record - if I had been a judge last week & watched those 2 dances in the dance-off, I would have saved Mollie too.  Based on that dance alone (as per the rules of the dance-off) Aston was by far the weakest dancer & didn't deserve to be saved.  I don't think Janette's choreography helped as it was far too rough for such a graceful dance.

Anyway, let's move on to this week's performances:

Susan & Kevin - Tango
Dramatic performance. Some heel leads missed but she did stay down in her knees. No errors in the routine either.  Her left hand collapsed a few times & went a bit weak on his arm & she needs to pull her top line back to enhance further.
My score - 6

Jo & Katya - Rumba
Not a bad attempt.  A notoriously difficult dance for a man.  Good fluidity in hi arms & good attempt at hip actions.  Very well lead but a bit on the spot for me, needed to move a bit more. He missed some to turn outs too.
My score - 8

Ruth & Anton - Foxtrot
I get the feeling he's not trying very hard & given up teaching.  That was a cheaters dance.  It was basically one continuous weave so managed to avoid the control steps & technique of a proper foxtrot.  No timing changes, no chance to do proper foot work, heel turns, etc. No lines, just quick after quick after quick. Not impressed - don't be lazy Anton, you're supposed to be a ballroom dancer & teacher so teach it & dance it!
My score - 4

Davood & Nadiya - Charleston
Light, fast, great swivels, great lifts, great timing & good performance.  The only thing I didn't like was when he tried to dance the basic swivel actions with her on his back, looked a bit clumpy.
My score - 9

Gemma & Aljaz - Viennese Waltz
Light & fluffy with good footwork. Good rotations & pivots. Just needs to pull back top line more & soften the rise & fall.  Didn't help that the music was awful & not proper Viennese Waltz timing.
My score - 8

Alexandra & Gorka - Argentine Tango
No surprise the first AT was given to her! Liked the way they danced down onto the floor from the balcony. Great performance, great lifts.  When she was doing the gaucho's either side of him she had her backside stuck out a bit too far for my liking.
My score - 9

Mollie & AJ - Paso Doble
Well performed with good timing.  Shapings a bit weak in places & arms needed to be a bit stronger at times too. Powerful performance though.
My score - 8

Jonnie & Oti - Foxtrot
Very romantic. Not bad footwork and good leading.  Needed more drive & stride.  The jacket made his shoulders looked hunched & he really does need to get his pelvis forward more.
My score - 6

Debbie & Giovanni - Salsa
Some balance issues & routine seemed to go a bit awry at one point & they lost focus for a bit. Very brave lifts but didn't like the dismount from the plank spin.  Needed to be a bit 'rougher' round the edges, was a bit too upright for me.
My score - 8

so my bottom 2 this week - Ruth & Jonnie (but after last week I fully expect Mollie to be there as a mark of disapproval from some fans of Aston)

Until next week,

keeeeep dancing!

Lloyd x

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree with your comment on the waltz music for Gemma and A. It just wasn’t right and was confusing for them , I think, especially when they started. And then Anton! Well, he is giving up on Ruth and can’t push her any further. The public need to face the truth and stop voting for her as some far better dancers will lose their spot on the show, while we start getting bored with her repeated mess-ups.

    ReplyDelete

Semi Finals

The penultimate show of the series already?! Where did that time go?  So this week the celebs do 2 dances each & my opinions of those we...