Sunday 19 November 2017

Week 9 - Blackpool!

So this week we were once again in the home of Ballroom - Blackpool Tower!  This place is magical, if you're a dancing fan & have never been, put it on your bucket list.  Even if you can't dance, just go to watch the dancers & take in the atmosphere!

This week:

Mollie & AJ - Charleston
Very modern twist on this dance.  Good swivels but one side was better than the other for me.  Not much basic actions to judge but the lifts were good & it was well performed.
My score - 8

Susan & Kevin - Paso Doble
Much as I love her, there was no shaping, not enough aggression or attack.  Lots of walking about without the proper styling of Paso walks.  Good flamenco section without music though.
My score - 5

Debbie & Giovanni - Samba
I think she has plateaued now & we have seen the best she is going to get, which I currently don't think is good enough to win it.  This week there was no body isolation, not enough hip actions, no fluidity & not enough bounce.  Her podium work also needed to be bigger actions too.I'm afraid I didn't see what the judges saw.
My score - 6

Jonnie & Oti - Tango
Good frame & good timing. Needed more stride at times.  Good focus throughout.  The judges seem to forget that he only has one complete leg & that to get the power he needs to use his glutes more.  This means that he needs to shift his pelvis back a fraction to facilitate his dancing.  It's not something that he can change - unlike sickled feet which can be rectified!
My score - 8

Gemma & Aljaz - American Smooth
Nice musicality & nice arms.  Her footwork on her reverse wave was wrong so she didn't have the necessary drive through the figure (and they danced it twice!).  She also didn't have any toe pick-up on her backward basic steps which is a fundamental part of the basic for ladies.  A bit of gapping too.  However it was graceful, she had a nice poise & her lines & ifts were good.
My score - 8

Davood & Nadiya - Paso Doble
I'll be honest, I had to watch it twice as the first time I didn't get my eyes off of his torso!  Great timing, shaping & leading.  Powerful performance. Occasional lines could have been just a fraction stronger.
My score - 8

Alexandra & Gorka - Qickstep
Good performance.  Toes still turned in which is starting to annoy me now! Some gapping in places & she lost her oise in some of the faster sections & stood up too straight.
My score - 8

Joe & Katya - Salsa
Great energy & well maintained.  Looked confident & in charge throughout.  Good lifts & armography. Held his own in the solo sections with the other dancers too  Just needed a little more hip rotation in a few places.
My score - 9

My bottom 2 this week - Debbie & Susan

I'm afraid my blog may be late again next week as I'm in London at 42nd Street to celebrate my step-dad's 80th Birthday!

Until then,

keeeeep dancing!!

Lloyd x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Semi Finals

The penultimate show of the series already?! Where did that time go?  So this week the celebs do 2 dances each & my opinions of those we...